Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Quiet Hero

Rita Cosby was my special guest on BackTalkLive this past Sunday. Though the show deviated a bit from its usual format, I found what Rita had to share with us about her Dad and his experiences in WWII to be profoundly significant. Of course, since my father, like hers, was from Poland and experienced the horrors of the Nazi invasion, we felt an immediate bond. However, her father and mine had very different experiences. While my father at sixteen fled his small town with his uncle towards Russia and survived in a labor camp there, Rita's father, living in Warsaw joined the underground as a resistance fighter. His story is fascinating and among other things, reveals how people can tolerate great pain when they have a higher, meaningful goal. However, the long-term effects of that pain can lead to psychological problems later in life. I found the book "Quiet Hero, Secrets of my Father's Past" hard to put down, enlightening about a very dark time in the world's history (not so long ago) and profoundly moving. It is beautifully written in a very engaging manner. I urge you to pick up a copy of this book right away. I have no doubt you will find it to be an important addition to your library.

1 comment: